It occurred to me last weekend, on Saturday to be precise (2 days before we had to be ready to have the kids home), when the nurse in the NICU asked me if I had cute carseat covers...that I didn't have one AT ALL! I just figured, our kids are spring babies, and by the time we can leave the house it will be too warm for a cover...silly me!
I guess I didn't think about the doctor appointments, coming home from the hospital, going to church (or anywhere really). So I went home and came up with a plan. Remember that left over fabric from the onsie bar at my shower, you know...the fabric I was going to use to make the remaining onsies...someday lol. Well I decided I would patch-work it all together to make carseat covers for the kids. Here is my weekend craft.
Here is the layout for Abigail's cover
Here is the layout for Liam's cover
After sewing all the scraps together to make a proper rectangle I cut the edges and then laid it face down on the inside fabric, a heavy dark brown minky (to help block out the light and make it heavy enough that the wind won't lift the cover, AND if I am ever in the situation for when I need another blanket, I can use this! I sewed the edges (leaving a hole to flip it right side out), trimmed the edges and flipped it right side out and sewed close the hole.
I just took two scraps to make the straps, sewed velcro on the ends, then sewed it onto the finished blanket
This is before flipping it right side out
Here is the finished product!
I feel so domesticated! I am not a real good sew-er but I felt so proud I could whip these out in a day and a half. Best part about it, the kids LOVE them.